Author Bike sheds/garages  (Read 1058 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline CambridgeBob   gb

    • NT1100 Member  ‐    29
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline CambridgeBob

    • NT1100 Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 29
    • Bike: NT1100(Auto)
    • City / Town: Cambridge
    • Country: gb
    Bike sheds/garages
    on: Sep 21, 2023, 03.14 pm
    Sep 21, 2023, 03.14 pm
    Im thinking of getting a bike shed, has anyone got any views on Asgard ones?
    In alcohol's defence, I've done dumb stuff sober!

  • Offline Art   england

    • NT1100 Pro  ‐    317
    • ***
      #1

    Offline Art

    • NT1100 Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 317
    • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
    • City / Town: Shoreditch London
    • Country: england
    Re: Bike sheds/garages
    Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2023, 04.36 pm
    Sep 21, 2023, 04.36 pm
    I've assembled a few metal sheds in the past, not Asgard's, and found them to suffer badly from condensation and not as secure as the manufacturers would have us believe. The weak points are the door hinges that can be levered off the door posts using a modest pair of pry bars levering against each other.

  • Offline JohnM   england

    • NT1100 Pro  ‐    339
    • ***
      #2

    Offline JohnM

    • NT1100 Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 339
    • Bike: NT1100D in NHC64
    • City / Town: Newark
    • Country: england
    Re: Bike sheds/garages
    Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2023, 07.03 pm
    Sep 21, 2023, 07.03 pm
    Depends if you want it for weather protection (fair, but as above condensation warning) or security (not really).

  • Offline Smith42   es

    • NT1100 Member  ‐    27
    • **
      #3

    Offline Smith42

    • NT1100 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 27
    • Bike: HONDA NT1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Navalcarnero
    • Country: es
    Re: Bike sheds/garages
    Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2023, 10.14 pm
    Sep 21, 2023, 10.14 pm
    Hi CambridgeBob

    Check this out, https://theawesomer.com/retractable-motorcycle-shed/297474/
    If i had a backyard with access to a road i would like somethig like that.


  • Offline Art   england

    • NT1100 Pro  ‐    317
    • ***
      #4

    Offline Art

    • NT1100 Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 317
    • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
    • City / Town: Shoreditch London
    • Country: england
    Re: Bike sheds/garages
    Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2023, 08.26 am
    Sep 22, 2023, 08.26 am
    *Originally Posted by Smith42 [+]
    Hi CambridgeBob

    Check this out, https://theawesomer.com/retractable-motorcycle-shed/297474/
    If i had a backyard with access to a road i would like somethig like that.

    What's the point of it being retractable? Nothing more than a reassuringly expensive motorcycle cover and what a procedure to have to go through each time you want to get a motorcycle in/out. if I was a gambling man I'd wager if you did have the access you'd have a proper job brick built garage.

    If you really want a metal shed, but I dont think you do, check out shipping containers

  • Offline Smith42   es

    • NT1100 Member  ‐    27
    • **
      #5

    Offline Smith42

    • NT1100 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 27
    • Bike: HONDA NT1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Navalcarnero
    • Country: es
    Re: Bike sheds/garages
    Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2023, 08.47 am
    Sep 22, 2023, 08.47 am
    *Originally Posted by Art [+]
    What's the point of it being retractable? Nothing more than a reassuringly expensive motorcycle cover and what a procedure to have to go through each time you want to get a motorcycle in/out. if I was a gambling man I'd wager if you did have the access you'd have a proper job brick built garage.

    If you really want a metal shed, but I dont think you do, check out shipping containers

    The points are, something compact when the bike is out and takes up little space when it is in, for the construction and materials it should not be expensive and it could have inox materials, if you are handyman it can be a DIY and customizable to yours needs, and last a container is too big and a really awfull box in the backyard.

    Anyway, it was only an idea...

  • Offline CambridgeBob   gb

    • NT1100 Member  ‐    29
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #6

    Offline CambridgeBob

    • NT1100 Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 29
    • Bike: NT1100(Auto)
    • City / Town: Cambridge
    • Country: gb
    Re: Bike sheds/garages
    Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2023, 11.06 am
    Sep 22, 2023, 11.06 am
    *Originally Posted by Smith42 [+]
    The points are, something compact when the bike is out and takes up little space when it is in, for the construction and materials it should not be expensive and it could have inox materials, if you are a handyman it can be a DIY and customizable to yours needs, and last a container is too big and a really awful box in the backyard.

    Anyway, it was only an idea...
    I really like that, very thunderbirds... needlessly complicated? maybe, lots to go wrong? Hmmm...Don't forget I have an automatic motor bike, (and used to own a Moto Guzzi)... definitely the coolest shed I've seen.
    Edit Bloody hell Grammarly has spell checked the quote, sorry.
    Last Edit: Sep 22, 2023, 11.08 am by CambridgeBob
    In alcohol's defence, I've done dumb stuff sober!

  • Offline CambridgeBob   gb

    • NT1100 Member  ‐    29
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #7

    Offline CambridgeBob

    • NT1100 Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 29
    • Bike: NT1100(Auto)
    • City / Town: Cambridge
    • Country: gb
    Re: Bike sheds/garages
    Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2023, 11.12 am
    Sep 22, 2023, 11.12 am
    OK, never thought about the condensation, not too fussed about security, a sheds a shed, more worried about the weather, and convenience. Soo a wooden shed... they tend to be big for the size of the door opening, more research is needed.
    In alcohol's defence, I've done dumb stuff sober!

  • Offline JohnM   england

    • NT1100 Pro  ‐    339
    • ***
      #8

    Offline JohnM

    • NT1100 Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 339
    • Bike: NT1100D in NHC64
    • City / Town: Newark
    • Country: england
    Re: Bike sheds/garages
    Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2023, 11.31 am
    Sep 22, 2023, 11.31 am
    Is there anything available in plastic ?

    There are many garden plastic containers - we have a blanket-chest type one, very robust and dry too.

  • Offline CambridgeBob   gb

    • NT1100 Member  ‐    29
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #9

    Offline CambridgeBob

    • NT1100 Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 29
    • Bike: NT1100(Auto)
    • City / Town: Cambridge
    • Country: gb
    Re: Bike sheds/garages
    Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2023, 11.45 am
    Sep 22, 2023, 11.45 am
    *Originally Posted by JohnM [+]
    Is there anything available in plastic ?

    There are many garden plastic containers - we have a blanket-chest type one, very robust and dry too.
    Not a bad idea I have a plastic garden store and it is quite good. The thing is they tend to have plastic floors.
    In alcohol's defence, I've done dumb stuff sober!

     



    workshop-field