Author More Android Auto  (Read 211 times)

• Online JohnM   england

• NT1100 Pro  ‐    112
    • Topic Author

Online JohnM

• NT1100 Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: NT1100D in NHC64
    • City / Town: Newark
    More Android Auto
    on: Aug 27, 2022, 01.02 pm
    Aug 27, 2022, 01.02 pm
    Not liking cables and extra mounts I have been looking at the Carlinkit for running AA (Android Auto).

There are lots of options out there, but knowing/thinking that the Carlinkit is pretty much the de facto I was pleased to see a certain outlet (like a big river) offering the v4.0 (needed as Android) with a 33% discount "one day offer".  I took the plunge and it came the next day as promised.

I must say it was not easy to get setup. Partly due to it wanting to be setup as Apple Car Play (is that Honda's doing or the interface's?).
    Anyway, all working and surprisingly easy and quick to switch between Rider screen and AA at will (I'd never plugged my phone in and used AA before, I only used audio navigation in bluetooth).

Now I'm not sold on AA yet, I have yet to use it outside of the garage and I do wonder how long the battery life will be if continually using bluetooth for data transfer, but the kit works. 
    I have to get to know AA and must play AA setup (remove App choices for the stuff I'm not going to be using on the bike and leave me with less to select through).
    I haven't mounted it yet - I'm going to temporarily stick it under the LCD dash and when happy move it somewhere out of sight (there isn't much free space).

If anyone else wants one from the same outlet I see today it is still on a "limited time deal"  (same offer).

• Offline Paul-hull   gb

• NT1100 Member  ‐    17

Offline Paul-hull

• NT1100 Member
    • Bike: NT 1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Hull
    Re: More Android Auto
    Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2022, 09.34 pm
    Aug 27, 2022, 09.34 pm
    Get a 2 M extension cable and mount Carlinkit under passenger seat (that’s what I did with mine). 

• Online JohnM   england

• NT1100 Pro  ‐    112
    • Topic Author

Online JohnM

• NT1100 Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2022, 11.39 am
    Sep 01, 2022, 11.39 am
    I couldn't put this unit in its proposed 'test' position - it would look so rubbish, so I fixed it to the tube (fairing/cockpit sub-frame?).  There is space there for such a low profile box.

Still not 100% sold on AA. I've left it on 'request' so that it ask on each start-up if I want to use it.  Good news, if I say no (disable?) it works as before (for audio nav instructions if I've got that running) or I can use it.

NB. My return journey of last Sunday's trip was about 4½hrs and I had AA running (mix foreground/background) I got home with <10% phone battery it turns out - I didn't notice any warnings.  So AA and bluetooth (data) running was every bit as thirsty as I thought.

• Offline Stoke-NT   gb

• NT1100 Pro  ‐    184

Offline Stoke-NT

• NT1100 Pro
    • Bike: NT1100, Kawasaki 750
    • City / Town: Stoke On Trent
    Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2022, 04.56 pm
    Sep 01, 2022, 04.56 pm
    I agree it's inconvenient having to plug in the phone to use Android Auto or Apple Carplay. I put my phone under the passenger seat, using a two metre extension cable. What a pain that is. The wireless dongle sounds great. But as JohnM says, it uses up the phone's battery. At least when the phone's plugged into the bike it's also getting charged.
    Last week I went on a 4 hour trip using Android Auto satnav with the phone plugged into the bike and at the end the phone's battery was at 100%.
    It's a dilemma.

• Offline nytram   gb

• NT1100 Member  ‐    48

Offline nytram

• NT1100 Member
    • Bike: NT1100 DCT Guzzi1200
    • City / Town: Leicestershire
    Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2022, 06.15 pm
    Sep 06, 2022, 06.15 pm
    Well I bit the bullet and ordered the carlinkit after not getting the motorola to work. Just spent a hour trying to get it to work and no joy with this either. Never changed from the red light. Didn't seem to know it was connected. I give up.

• Online JohnM   england

• NT1100 Pro  ‐    112
    • Topic Author

Online JohnM

• NT1100 Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2022, 10.38 pm
    Sep 06, 2022, 10.38 pm
    Don't give up.  As I said earlier, mine was troublesome to get setup correctly, but now is fine (touching wood!).

If you want to meet up when the weather is more stable I'm happy to help.

• Offline nytram   gb

• NT1100 Member  ‐    48

Offline nytram

• NT1100 Member
    • Bike: NT1100 DCT Guzzi1200
    • City / Town: Leicestershire
    Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2022, 09.44 am
    Sep 07, 2022, 09.44 am
    Thanks for the offer John. Will PM you. Won't be for a couple of weeks as got a lot on. Will come to you as you are only half a hour away.

workshop-field